Domogan quick fix /A demolition story

>> Monday, July 26, 2010

BULL’S HIT
Rudy Garcia

If you happen to visit the Baguio City Hall nowadays, you could see the system of public service has improved. Perhaps, the credit goes to returning mayor Mauricio Domogan, but there is still a long way to go and changes could happen. If the good mayor makes good his promise of good governance until his term expires, then he deserves a full hand salute, but if he falls back to ningas kugon attitude then, he would surely be a client character of my column……

Adding credit to Domogan’s accomplishments is his fast action on my expose regarding an alleged hulidap by unidentified men believed to be authorities. Two weeks ago a vendor approached us and related his ordeal. Accordingly about three to four persons all male, went to his place where he sells several items at the sidewalk in front of Maharlika Building and started inspecting his wares.

He could do nothing but watch them thinking these men went to inspect and confiscate his wares but much to his surprise, they only got his laptop worth around P4,000. Luckily his co-vendors were able to get the plate number of the gate away vehicle of the hulidapers.

When I wrote the story in my column, I was informed by an insider that the city mayor read it and immediately ordered an investigation, and in just a matter of a day or two, the laptop was returned to the vendor. As a cue, the action of the mayor now serves as a warning to those who are filling their pockets at the expense of the poor vendors. They really have to mend their ways! The city mayor could really mean business. Kuwidaw.
***

Just recently, an old woman and her daughter came to us seeking help perhaps to pray miracles to save their house from being demolished by the city buildings and architecture office demolition team. I explained to them that I am just a plain columnist and could do nothing to stop the demolition, but as I watched the eyes of the old woman who started to cry, my heart dictated my mouth to say “yes” I will help you.

I asked for the documents, and when I assessed them, I was somewhat convinced that their lawyer did not do well to protect them as clients. Sensing that only miracles would save their shelter they stayed in for almost 30 years.

I recommended another lawyer to do the job, but the lawyer said frankly that chances are slim, so the said lady lawyer and a lawyer partner filed a motion to lift /reconsider the dismissal order and to maintain status quo/ and stay the demolition.

Before the Regional Trial Court, Branch 5, Baguio City where the demolition would be enforced, the office of the CBAO was properly furnished the motion including lawyers of other concerned parties. So, the following day of July 21, the hearing started at 9 a.m. with the presence of lawyers from all parties including the lawyer of the old woman.

Accordingly, the judge hearing the case could only give 10 days for the old woman and family to voluntarily vacate their house, which an undertaking by all partners was made. But the funny thing is that while the court proceedings were ongoing, the old husband of the old woman came rushing inside the courtroom saying that their house was presently being demolished.

I am not a lawyer but this made me wonder why the demolition went on while hearing was going on. An absurdity of nature, but then, the act of the demolition would perhaps have rendered the court order moot and academic?

Worst, the 20 thousand cash money of the old couple placed inside one of the drawers in their cabinet was reportedly missing. I am not saying that the demolition team got the money, but I may say that I believe more on the old couple who really cried in front of us.

Well, as the saying goes, the law is harsh but it’s the law, and compassion doesn’t go along with the law, so where are the advocates of human rights if I may ask?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Web Statistics