LETTERS FROM THE AGNO

>> Saturday, April 21, 2007

Poems and prayers for rivers and mountains
By March L. Fianza

(Today's column turns left from its usual course to honor Mother Earth for the blessings she has provided every organism that lived on her back. The following contributions were lifted from the internet.)

Protect the MountainsSubmitted by Beth Lapides, author of “Did I Wake You? Haiku’s For Modern Living”I give thanks for the mountain I live by, that drew me to it, magnetized me. I ask for the strength of it. To protect other mountains, which protect us. I offer my heart to the ground disprupted. I wait for guidance to help create the world in which we can live by and with the mountains peacefully. Love to all mountains, and all the valleys that the mountains define.

In this moment and forever more. Forgive us for pillagingMelissa Gee is the assistant director of OASIS (Opposing Abuse with Service, Information and Shelter) in Boone, North Carolina, and a West Virginia native. Your Handiwork, which You called good, exists only for and through You, but I thank you for the joy and protection we receive from Your amazing works. The beauty of these mountains leaves me breathless and full of peace.

Every tree, stream, and mountain is exactly where you have placed it. Your all-knowing hand molded this land perfectly. Although we may never know the reasons behind your plan, help us remember that we are living as part of Your Creation. Lord please forgive us for pillaging and not holding dear what belongs to you. I pray that you will open the eyes and hearts of your children and help us turn away from the sin of destruction and use wisely the resources which you have entrusted to us.

Through the Prince of Peace I pray, Amen Stop mountaintop removal Submitted by Beverly, Aaron, and Kaylee Donovan of Burgess, VAFather you see and know that your mountains are being destroyed by a select few. Please guide and direct them to a better way of life. Please bless all the good people who are working to stop mountaintop removal. Please help me be an instrument of your peace.This we pray in Your name, Amen.

Spirit of wind and waterMary Jane Hitt is the pastor at Providence United Presbyterian Church in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and a West Virginia native.O Divine Spirit, Spirit of wind and water, of mountain and majesty, of all creatures great and small: Hear our prayer of thanksgiving for the world that we take for granted, for your gracious gifts that we do not earn, for the daily blessings that we do not merit; Hear our prayer of confession as we acknowledge our self-absorption, our short-sightedness;our failure to care for all creation; Hear our prayer of supplication for the mountains, and those who love them; for the mountains, and those who live in them; for the mountains, and those who work to preserve and protect them; Bring us to that day when the rivers will clap their hands and the mountains will sing together for joy. Amen.

A bad rap!A poem motivated by the exploitation of the Kentucky hills, submitted by Angelyn DeBord. She is an Appalachian-born and raised storyteller, actress, playwright and workshop leader from Gate City, VA.I think of the children, they’re young and they’re willing, to lift up their wings and to fly.But their way it is tangled, don’t let them be mangled, by the greed that we pass down the line. I lift mine eyes up now unto these hills from whence always my help it has come.I holler, “God help us, Man’s greed it has scalped us, for a strange definition of wealth.”The mountains we love now, God knows they’re our home now, they’ve helped, they’ve held us for years. But the land of our mother is now seeking cover as the bulldozers strip off her crown.

What God has created, Man’s greed’s laid asunder. You can’t build a mountain back up. But our children have voices, let’s raise them to use them, together we can save this land. Yes, together we can save this land.I Just can’t believe itA testimony by Dan Siler of Robbinsville, NCAs I grew up here in NC, mining and hard rock jobs were a common part of my life. I was a part of 4 generations. First, I worked the jack legs underground, then I graduated to operating the air tracks above ground and learned to use powder.Now, building a beautiful road for others to see God's handiwork is one thing. But the absolute and total removal of a mountaintop is wrong.

I don’t care whose standards you judge by. Coal will always play out. My Mom was born in Welch, West Va. and her whole family wound up moving as big coal played out. I have made many trips outta the hole just to watch the power go off. I helped load and seen the tops of mountaintop quarries be removed. And how long, how long before it all lands here in N.C. I just hope there are those who will forgive me for destroying nature. I hope our Creator does!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Web Statistics