Wisdom of an Ibaloy elder

>> Thursday, July 3, 2014

LIGHT AT THE END  OF THE TUNNEL
Roger D. Sinot

ASIN,Tuba, Benguet – A tourist once said, when you bring out your hand from your car window and feel that the air is warm, then you are in Saudi Arabia. When you feel cold air, then you are in Alaska. But when you bring out your arm from the car window and you find your watch and ring missing, then you are in the Philippines.

It’s only in the Philippines that we hear these words: lagay, padulas, areglo, puslit, palusot. In politics, we hear about palakasan, pakiusap and the padrino system. When will Filipinos attain maturity in values and in politics? And when will we begin having mature and moral conversations. I believe that as Christians, these are good things that should be taught to children.  

Some of us use God and religion as means to satisfy their personal ends, to gain social acceptance and prestige, enhance their businesses, and further political ambitions. But matured Christians know that religion is a personal relationship with God and a commitment to Christianity, not a conformity to society moved by “hiya”. In other words, Christianity, morality and religion should not be used for one’s selfish ends. Here, God and Christ are in the center, according to Fr. Egmalis, Chaplain at Brent International School.

He further said in a mass at Asin, “A responsible person has the ability to internalize his values. His life is the expression of love coming from his heart and mind, motivating all his actions and desires. He is one who must respect himself and the order of created things.”

In my meetings with the interim Council of Elders of Baguio, I came to realize that when I was at a younger age, it was the age of my wishes – “wishing to be somebody.” In my 20s to my early 30s, these were the years of wisdom – college days. Now in my present age, am I considered an elder? I have to be and my family expects me to be one. And I am now a grandpa to three-year old Justin Wesley. I am now a “judge” and should act like one. If I give the right decisions, then I am a man of wisdom. So help me God.

After hard work for the family, at this age maybe it is now time to share a wisdom of love, faith, integrity, and of social justice that my mother Feliza wished me to be by sending me to school.

In reading about social justice before the Spaniards Christianized the people in the mountains long before the Americans came to settle in Baguio, I learned that Ibaloys believed in the value that earthly goods belonged to all men. Our ancestors raised their children – our parents, for them to equally share what they have. This was handed down to younger generations. For example during canyaos, the host sees to it that everyone gets a share of the “namet” (meat flesh and fat) called “watwat”.

Ibaloys were also taught to live simple lives, of not flaunting their wealth in the midst of poverty and deprivation. An Ibaloy family is urged to feed the hungry and cloth the naked, not because it is the pious thing to do but because that is an obligation on account of having good fortune. That is the reason for canyaos. What other people say does not matter but appeasing the Almighty Kabunyan and departed ancestors, and what our children and grandchildren would say in the future is what matters.


Farewell to Uncle David Losnong, may you now rest in peace beside the Father. Happy trails to all. Have a code that we can live by and may we all find maturity in life.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Web Statistics