A ‘wonderful world’ of Doakan by Vicky Macay

>> Thursday, January 1, 2015

LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL
Roger Sinot

ASIN HOT SPRINGS, Tuba, Benguet -- Before the meeting of the council of elders of Baguio had adjourned, Manang Vicky Macay, an elder from Loakan, handed me a copy of a story she shared in a lecture at Marry Knoll Learning Center last Nov. 22.

Their intention was to make a book on customs and traditions of the early settlers of Loakan, a barangay of Baguio. She told me to write this down in this column, so let me summarize her 8-page story.

Manang Vicky said the once rustic Loakan, then called Doakan in her childhood is now so different. She recalled how they cared for the land, the water sources and springs.

"There was a spring in Sadjo near the old house of Bilad Carantes Macay, but this was destroyed when the compound of the Export Processing Zone (EPZA) was built in the 80's,”she said.“There were two rivers in Pidawan, where we used to get water to drink and bathe. But now the rivers are dirty and polluted."

She continued: "In the past, our parents would remind us when we go to school not to throw anything in the river because we might hit unseen beings -- so many reminders on taking care of the waters."

She related the natural bounties they benefited from when the mountains in the area were lush and green. That was then, she said, adding people should be "nature's guardians".

She ended her story: "We always remembered what our elders said. Lend to those who are in need so they can have a turn to work on the land. Don't you know that there are ancestral spirits watching you when you are selfish? In that case, they would not give you a good harvest."
***
Here is an American Indian saying I quote from Facebook:

"There was a time when man took no more than he needed -- that time is gone. There was a time when he gave something back -- that time is gone. There was a time when he worshiped the creator and honored the creation-- that time too is gone. Now that the waters are polluted, our natural resources are all but gone and the creation is dying. It is time to find our way back to earth!"
***
Here is also a popular old song written by Louis Armstrong, a song I usually sing with my grandson Justin Wesley while
we go for a walk on the road here in Asin, entitled What a Wonderful World.

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and for you
And I said to myself what a wonderful world.
I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I said to myself what a wonderful world.
The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people passing by
I see friends shaking hands saying How do you do
But what they're really saying is I love you
I hear baby's crying and I watched them grow
They'll learn much morethan I'll ever know
And I think to myself what a wonderful world
Yes,I think to myself what a wonderful world!  Oh yeah!
                                ***
The world is in our hands now. Shall we join the band of  Common Tragedy (Maudi ti babawi)? Or do our part as guardians of nature and one day walk along the parks singing the song What A Wonderful World with our children and grand children! The choice is ours my friends. Let us be Vicky Macays in our own ways.

Merry Christmas and a Happy Trails to everyone. Happy birthday to my grandson Justin Wesley Daoas Sinot on his 4th year this Dec. 24.


0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Web Statistics