Widowed solon wants La Union placed under military protection

>> Sunday, December 9, 2018


Politically-related killings up 

By Erwin Beleo


AGOO, La Union – La Union 2nd District Rep. Sandra Eriguel asked the Commission on Elections to place the province under military protection to prevent the spread of violence following the deaths of several politicians this year.
In a letter dated Nov. 20, 2018 to Comelec Chairman Sheriff M. Abbas, Eriguel asked for the intervention of the election body, particularly in the municipalities of Agoo, Bauang, Caba and Tubao in the 2nd district which she represents. Eriguel made the plea after several politicians were gunned down, including her husband, former Rep. Eufranio Eriguel who was shot dead by still unidentified assailants on May 12, 2018 in Barangay Capas, Agoo, two days before the 2018 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.
                Prior to this, her husband survived a bombing attack on April 30, 2016 barely two weeks from the 2016 national and local elections.
The said bombing attack remains unresolved.
              “The death of my husband was not the last of violent incidents that erupted in our province. The recent ambush on Sudipen Mayor Allan Buquing and Balaoan Vice-Mayor Alfred Concepcion which resulted in their deaths as well as of their police security details, placed La Union again in the headline news,” she pointed out.
“Apart from these, local leaders were also gunned down particularly in the towns of Bauang and Tubao but these were not reported in the national media,” she said.
Eriguel said the prevalence of violence in La Union has not only caused fear among the people but also among politicians.
“I received information that I will be gunned down once I filed my certificate of candidacy. I did not take the information lightly, thus I instructed my chief of staff to file my COC with the provincial election supervisor of La Union as a precaution. To this date, I continue to receive information of ongoing threats to me and my family as well as my allies in politics,” she claimed.
Eriguel also asked Comelec to allow the personnel from the Police Security and Protection Group and the Philippines Army to be detailed to her and her family during the election period amid the threats on their lives.
“I am willing to comply with any requirements which the Comelec will mandate,” she said.
“I am hopeful that peace will again reign over La Union and with the intervention of Comelec, peace and violence-
free elections are attainable.”

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Web Statistics