Kingad ready to face Mclaren in return bout

>> Thursday, July 14, 2022

SPORTS

Carlo Quinto

It seems the best fighters in the world are all after our Team Lakay warriors.
    After #5-ranked flyweight contender Reece "Lightning" Mclaren submitted China's Xie Wei at ONE : 158 on June 3, the Australian identified Danny "The King" Kingad to be his next opponent of choice.
    Kingad had defeated Mclaren in their first encounter, and to this strong callout, The King responded by saying he is ready to face Mclaren again, anytime and anywhere.
    “Give me the date and place,” Kingad answered McLaren’s challenge.
    Former ONE World Title challenger Danny “The King” Kingad has heard Reece McLaren’s challenge loud and clear, and he’s ready to face the Australian star at a moment’s notice.
    The latter called Kingad out following his first-round submission victory at ONE 158 over Xie Wei.
    Kingad and McLaren faced each other once before, with “The King” taking home a close split decision in their August 2019 clash at ONE: DAWN OF HEROES. It’s a rematch McLaren feels needs to happen.
    On the other hand, the Team Lakay stalwart had no hesitation in accepting the challenge, and he wants it quick.
    “I think he doesn’t believe that he lost in our first fight, that’s why he wants that rematch. Knowing Team Lakay and knowing myself, we’re not backing down from anyone. I’m ready if ever we fight each other again. Give me the date and place!” Kingad said.
    McLaren, a natural grappler, has taken strides to upgrade his striking skills, working with legendary Muay Thai kickboxer John Wayne Parr recently at Boonchu Gym in Gold Coast. During his in-Circle interview with commentator Mitch Chilson, “Lightning” wasted no time and proposed a rematch against Kingad.
    Kingad, who was watching from at home in Baguio City, shared his thoughts on McLaren’s most recent performance.
    “An excellent performance from Reece! He was able to survive the killer right punch of Xie Wei. I was amazed and equally entertained by Reece. He really gave it his all during the fight and submit Xie Wei,” Kingad said.
    Obviously, with their 2019 fight going the distance and with judges split down the middle, both men can make a solid claim for victory. However, it’s very clear that a rematch is more than warranted.
    Fully embodying the Filipino warrior spirit, “The King” said he has no problems settling this matter in the Circle.
    Kingad is the #4-ranked fighter in the stacked flyweight division and his 13 fights under ONE Championship featured some of the promotion’s top names.
    The 26-year-old had a flying start in his ONE Championship tenure going 9-1 in his first 10 fights. Fighters who’ve fallen to Kingad include Yuya Wakamatsu, Tatsumitsu Wada, McLaren, and Senzo Ikeda.
    But while he enjoyed a strong run of form at the start of his career, Kingad has hit a snag lately, going 1-2 in his past three fights. Those losses, however, were against the elite of the sport. 
    Kingad lost to the legendary Demetrious Johnson via unanimous decision in the final of the ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix at ONE: CENTURY Part I in October 2019. His last loss was a unanimous decision defeat against former ONE Flyweight World Champion Kairat Akhmetov at ONE: WINTER WARRIORS II in December 2021.
    True to his craft, Kingad said he’s bringing valuable experience after his loss to Akhmetov and he plans to use it against McLaren.
    “Yes, my loss against Kairat taught me a lot. I saw a lot of areas that I need to work on after my last match. You can say my would-be fight with Reece, if ONE Championship will make it happen, is a kind of redemption match for me, but the most vital thing to do is answer Reece’s call-out,” Kingad said.


Folayang wants  rematch with  Alvarez 

Carlo Quinto

Filipino superstar Eduard Folayang feels he has unfinished business with Eddie Alvarez.
    The two mixed martial arts legends squared off at ONE: Dawn of Heroes with Alvarez taking the first-round submission win in front of a stunned Filipino crowd in August of 2019.
    It was a match that perfectly displayed the strengths of the two fighters with Folayang raining down menacing strikes on the feet and Alvarez swooping in with his grappling.
    Folayang said a rematch between him and Alvarez is indeed an intriguing prospect and he hopes that a second meeting between them could eventually happen sooner than later.
    “Of course, that’s a great opportunity for me, it’s a great fight if that happens. It would be awesome if Alvarez vs. Folayang II does happen especially on my part. I really feel that I could’ve done something more in our previous fight.”
    Folayang had the Mall of Asia crowd rocking in the first minute of the fight when he landed a brutal leg kick that sent the former Bellator and UFC lightweight champion to the mat.
    Taking advantage of his downed opponent, Folayang proceeded to land a hellacious ground-and-pound on Alvarez.
    Despite Folayang’s aggression, “The Underground King” managed to survive and eventually took top position. Alvarez then took Folayang’s back and slapped in a tight rear-naked choke to take the submission win 2:16 into the fight.
    Folayang admitted that he made mistakes in his first fight against Alvarez, nevertheless, the former ONE Lightweight World Champion is eager to erase his errors.
    “It wasn’t the outcome that I wanted. We all know that we all make mistakes in life. Even a small error could lead to disaster. That’s why I’m willing that Alvarez vs. Folayang II does happen,” said the Team Lakay elder.
    The 38-year-old added he needs to undergo an intense training camp, harder than his previous ones if he eventually gets his rematch against the American legend.
    “I feel that I have to drastically improve my striking and undergo an intense training camp if that fight with Eddie eventually happens,” said Folayang.
    ONE Championship returns this July 22 with the stacked ONE 159: De Ridder vs. Bigdash which will be broadcast live from the Singapore Indoor Stadium. 
    Just like any other fight fan, Folayang will be tuned in to ONE 159 especially with two title fights in the card. 
Reinier de Ridder will defend the ONE Middleweight World Championship against former champion Vitaly Bigdash in the main event. 
    Striking superstars Janet Todd, the reigning ONE Atomweight Kickboxing World Champion, and Lara Fernandez will duke it out for the ONE Interim Atomweight Muay Thai World Title in the co-main event.

 
Jenelyn Olsim bares struggles in achieving degree

Carlo Quinto

Earning a degree is always a challenge, but completing your studies while being a professional mixed martial artist and a national athlete is an endeavor of the highest difficulty.
    Such was the case with Team Lakay’s Jenelyn Olsim.
    The atomweight contender recently obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from the University of Baguio but it wasn’t just her books and internship that she had to deal with. 
    Olsim, during the final stretch of her senior year, had to prepare and compete in the 2021 Southeast Asian     Games and for her return fight at ONE 158: Tawanchai vs. Larsen.
    Nevertheless, the versatile fighter had more than enough perseverance to push through and achieve what she sought in both her scholastic and martial arts careers.
    On top of obtaining her degree, Olsim captured a bronze medal in the Vovinam competition in the Hanoi SEA Games and also a crucial split decision win over Julie Mezabarba earlier this month.
    “I think I’m living the life that I want and I’m happy about it. During those times when it got so hectic, I knew I had to fully focus, get organized, and strictly follow my schedule. When things get too distracting, I tend to reset things and I’m back in my focused state,” she said. 
    The 25-year-old added that she regularly talked to Team Lakay head coach Mark Sangiao and her mentors at Singa Law Office about what’s going through in her studies and career. This openness, subsequently, afforded her the support of her superiors.
    “I experienced when things just snowballed and everything was happening all at once but I’m so proud that I didn’t stop. I pursued my studies and got my degree. It feels uplifting and empowering,” said Olsim.
    “I admit that I find it difficult to balance everything and there were things that I had to sacrifice. Whenever I feel that my stress is building up, I always think of the why’s and think of what I’ve been doing in my career.”
    Jenelyn Olsim finds role models in Eduard Folayang and Mark Sangiao
    Team Lakay is not just the home of MMA world champions, it’s also the hub of some of the most accomplished fighters in the world of academics. This gave Olsim to find role models not just in martial arts but also in school.
     Olsim said that Sangiao and former ONE lightweight world champion Eduard Folayang were her role models because of what they achieved in MMA and at school.
    “They are my role models, I genuinely look up to them and they inspire me to accomplish more. I always take their advice to heart, and one of those is that I should be focused on finishing my degree,” said Olsim.
    Folayang was once an English and Physical Education teacher after obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Education from the University of the Cordilleras while Sangiao taught at the same university’s Criminology Department while completing his Master's Degree.
    “Knowing that they’re champions and they all pursued their degrees, of course, I wouldn’t be left behind,” said Olsim.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Web Statistics